Learning to meditate is like anything else you want to do. You need to learn how to do it, then practice doing it, and do it regularly so that it becomes a normal part of your life. Thats really the process of developing any type of habit that is good for you. Keep practicing and keep doing it.
Lets look at some simple techniques to make meditation work for you.
1. Prepare for Meditation The best way to help yourself get used to meditating is to set up a process that prepares your mind and body for meditation. It might be having a cup of tea, drinking some lemon water, or doing something else that makes your mind think that its time to meditate.
2. Try to Sit Still When you start meditating, its important to find a comfortable position to sit in so that you can sit still. Dont try to make the poses that everyone else makes if youre not used to it. The most comfortable sitting up position for you is best.
3. Pray or Use a Mantra Sometimes, saying something repetitive can calm your mind and help bring your mind into the present. When you are meditating, you dont want to think of the past or the future; you only want to think of right now. Reciting a prayer that you know, or a mantra, or even a poem can be helpful in bringing you to the present.
4. Close Your Eyes Getting rid of visual stimulation is something that will help you become more mindful. Try closing your eyes but dont look down. Instead, keep your head up and your eyes upward even as theyre closed. This will help keep energy while you are meditating. Ideally, you dont want to fall asleep while meditating.
5. Choose a Safe Place When you meditate, you want to be in a safe place that helps you not worry about your surroundings. You dont want flies attacking you or sounds to be interfering with your concentration. You want the temperature to be comfortable, and to ensure that you remain undisturbed during the process.
6. Get Comfortable Its important that you feel comfortable. If you have health issues, you can sit in a chair or on a pillow. You can even sit on a yoga ball while you meditate. The important thing is that you feel comfortable and arent experiencing a lot of discomfort and pain.
7. Make the Time Its important to set a regular time for meditation. That way your mind and body become accustomed to the fact that youre going to meditate at that time. When you do something at the same time each day, in the same way, it forms a habit that youll need to include in your life.
8. Watch Your Posture Keeping the right posture during meditation is a good way to ensure you can breathe well, not cause yourself pain, and maintain your energy. You can take on any number of poses, but the one that is best for you is the one that is most comfortable and doesnt make any part of your body hurt or go numb from cutting off circulation.
9. Learn Proper Breathing Technique One of the most important aspects of meditating in a way that helps is to learn to breathe properly. The most helpful method is to breathe normally the way you always breathe. But, some people tend to have shallow breaths. Ensure that you breathe in to raise your diaphragm so that youre getting plenty of oxygen.
Once you set your life up for regular meditation, youll find that you get into the zone faster and more easily as time goes by. You will eventually even be able to take five minutes to yourself while waiting in line at the post office, and you will feel refreshed instead of frustrated throughout your day as you become accustomed to using meditation to help you.