Meditation has many benefits, and the ones mentioned here are just touching the tip of the iceberg. Studies are being conducted every day that show more and more benefits of meditation. In fact, its so beneficial that some schools are starting to teach children meditation practices to help them deal with their lives better.
* Increases Performance Not only does it help with work performance but also school performance. Studies show that workers and students who practice regular meditation perform better on cognitive tests and get higher grades. Meditation even reduces anxiety and stress related to work and school, which will make you happier to be there.
* Improved Well-Being – Studies show that individuals who participate in regular meditation tend to have a more positive outlook and focus less on the negative situations that everyone has in their lives. It makes it easier for them to emotionally navigate issues affecting them. This is because meditation activates the more positive parts of your brain.
* Longer Life Expectancy Due to the increased heart health, lower blood pressure and lower cortisol levels of people who use meditation on a regular basis as part of their daily life practices, there is also a longer life expectancy. This isnt just related to people who have always meditated, but studies show a clear connection to meditation and healing for sick people too.
* Better Night-Time Sleep When you have less stress and anxiety and set yourself up to sleep better at night by being mindful of the things youre doing to stimulate your brain, youre going to sleep a lot better. This is especially true if you use meditation to wind down at the end of the day and signal to your body that its time to sleep.
* Lessens Chronic Pain Symptoms People who suffer from chronic pain (whether from an illness, age, or even cancer) experience fewer pain symptoms when they incorporate regular meditation into their daily lives.
* Enhanced Appearance of the Skin When youre less stressed out, you reduce hormone problems that can cause skin issues. People who meditate on a regular basis tend to have clearer and brighter skin simply due to all the other combined effects, including better sleep and more mindfulness of what youre doing to your body.
* Reduced Anxiety Regular meditation reduces anxiety because it reduces the cortisol levels which can increase anxiety. Anxiety is somewhat of a silent killer. It can lead to serious health issues if left untreated. But, study after study shows that meditation is just as good at reducing anxiety as medication for many people.
* Helps with PTSD Many people who have post-traumatic stress disorder end up having to take medications that can cause serious side effects. There are a few studies that show that regular meditation can reduce the stress hormones that trigger the flight or fight response which is responsible for the symptoms of PTSD.
The best way to find out how meditation can benefit you is to start doing it. Start with one session a day of no more than 20 minutes. Even five minutes is better than nothing if thats all you can do. But, work your way up slowly to either two 20-minute sessions a day or one long 40-minute session a day for best results.