Most of us are constantly under pressure and on the go with our fast-paced lifestyles. It’s only natural for us to occasionally feel worn out or even a bit down from time to time. The good news is that something as simple as refocusing your attention from your challenges to acknowledging the things that you are grateful for in your life can instantly boost your mood.
Studies show that practicing gratitude on a regular basis can raise your mood and also boost your self-esteem, will power, long term health, and even your level of success in life!
Beat the blues with these practices to help you develop your sense of gratitude:
1. Keep a list of the things you’re grateful for. The next time that you feel angry, frustrated, or a bit depressed, make a list and literally count your blessings. Making a list helps you to stop obsessing over the current situation. Don’t stop at just one list. Consider keeping a journal to record the things and events in your life for which you are grateful. Over time, you create a tangible record of all of the positive aspects of your life.
2. Start the day on a positive note. Set the tone and focus for the rest of your day by taking a few moments each morning to review the positive things in your life. Self-questions can be a great way to focus on the positive aspects of your life. Good questions to ask include: “What’s something good that is happening right now,” “What opportunities await me today,” or “Whose love am I grateful for?”
3. Be alert to the goodness all around you. It’s hard to have a positive attitude if you focus on only the negative things happening around you. Make a point to consciously seek the good in everything, especially in small, simple things such as a child’s innocent laughter or the beauty found in nature.
4. Perform random acts of kindness. You can increase your own gratitude by being someone else’s reason for thankfulness. Practice random acts of kindness by unexpectedly helping others. What may seem like a small act to you can be a very large act of generosity to someone who is in need. Look for opportunities each day to help someone else. The other person will be thankful for your generosity and you’ll be grateful for the boost in your self-esteem and mood.
5. A picture is worth a thousand words. Why not document the things that you’re grateful for by recording them with a photo? You can even spread the good thoughts around by sharing your gratitude pictures on your social media accounts.
6. Save notes of gratitude, instead of loose change, in a jar. Too busy to make gratitude lists or keep a gratitude journal? Try writing short notes about gratitude to yourself and keeping them in a jar! Whenever you need an encouraging word, remove one of the notes and read it to instantly perk up your mood!
As the end of the year draws to a close, look back over your gratitude notes to be reminded of all of the good things that happened to you throughout the year. There are difficult times in everyone’s life, but practicing gratitude on a regular basis gives you the power and inspiration to remain positive as you overcome challenges.
Would you like to learn more about Gratitude Journaling, receive more Gratitude Freebies and also allow us to give a shout out to you whenever we release Gratitude, Positivity, Self-Care and Self-Growth Journals, Notebooks, Planners, Printables and Lifestyle Merchandise, which complement your gratitude journey? If you do, please enter your email below:
We will be keeping in touch with you via email and helping and guiding you along on your Gratitude Seeking Journey. We will also keep you posted on our own Gratitude Seeking Journey by email. If you don’t receive our weekly emails, please check your spam folder. Please ensure you whitelist our email address “email@example.com” in order to receive all our gratitude journey emails.
May we thrive with joy and happiness as we release our gratitude to the world!
Ashley Yeo conjures seriously juicy journals, notebooks, planners, printables and paper stuff out of love, peaches and cream to help GIRL EXPLORERS feel POSITIVE and HAPPY via paper therapy. We do this by helping GIRL EXPLORERS harness their GIRL POWERS and discover POSITIVITY through discovering their PASSIONS and staying focused on their PASSIONS through streamlining their life flow and work flow for greater PRODUCTIVITY.